For many taxpayers the most frustrating part about doing their taxes is getting ahold of a real person at the IRS. The IRS is understaffed and unprepared to take on the daily volume of phone calls  they receive. Unfortunately, this has caused callers to struggle with navigating the menu maze and being put on hold for hours only to have the line drop. Although there are plenty of potential solutions that don’t involve calling, I will touch on these after answering the main question. Here are the most important steps to take when you must talk to an IRS agent. There are some things you can do online through the IRS website, skim through to the bottom to view those topics/questions.

  • Talk to a tax professional at Molen & Associates
  • We solve tax headaches for a living. We may be able to help you NOT have to talk to the IRS.
  • Reach us at 281-440-6279
  • Be mentally Prepared – you will need to provide:
  • SSN and date of birth
  • Your filing status (Single, Married Filing Joint, etc.)
  • Your tax returns
  • Letters sent by the IRS
  • Begin the IRS call by dialing 1-800-829-1040
  • Call between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday
  • For best results call early on Wednesday or Thursday morning
  • Press (1) to select English as the language
  • Press (2) to select Personal Income Tax, tax reform law, etc.
  • Press (1) for questions about a form, payments, and tax transcripts
  • Press (3) for all other questions
  • Press (2) for all other questions
  • Don’t touch anything!
  • The system will ask for your SSN or EIN
  • Continue to wait while you are asked a second time
  • Press (2) for personal tax questions


Hopefully, you are connected with someone who can help get you the answers you need. It’s not uncommon for taxpayer’s to be disconnected while on hold or to be told to call back later. If this happens to you, simply follow these steps again in the morning. For immediate assistance check www.irs.gov for answers to the following questions.


How do I get a copy of lost tax documents?

If you can’t get what you need from your employer, you can get W2s and 1099s from the IRS website www.irs.gov.


  • Get Your Tax Record
  • Get Transcript Online
  • Log in or create an account
  • You should receive it the same day.


Where is my refund?

  • Wait at least 21 days from e-filing
  • You will need SSN, Filing Status, Exact refund amount
  • Visit irs.gov
  • Get My Refund Status
  • Check My Refund Status
  • Fill in the information and hit submit

How do I pay the IRS?

If you file your taxes with Molen & Associates we can provide the following payment services.

  • File your tax return with direct deposit/debit information
  • Provide you with a copy of the 1040-V payment voucher

If you need to pay an amount due by yourself follow these steps.

  • Visit irs.gov
  • Make a Payment
  • Select “Bank Account” for the most secure option
  • Make a Payment
  • Reason for Payment is “Tax Return or Notice”
  • Apply Payment To “1040, 1040A, 1040EZ”
  • Enter the appropriate Tax Period for Payment


It is likely that a call to the IRS will leave you with more questions that need to be resolved. Whatever the issue is we’re here to help. Make sure to give us a call, and to understand your rights as a taxpayer. Visit https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/About-TAS/Taxpayer-Rights to learn your rights, and to understand some of the benefits of working with a firm you can trust.

Austin Long

Tax Advisor

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This