I have a simple tax question, why is it so hard to answer?

Year round we get calls and emails from clients and perspective clients alike, many times with what is intended to be a simple tax question. “If I do this thing, can I write it off” is a very common one. Trouble is, there are NO simple tax answers – because everything is subject to your individual facts and circumstances. The most accurate answer to any tax question is ‘maybe’.

A prime example is medical expenses. My spouse is diabetic and we pay more than $100.00 a month in insulin, can we write that off on our tax return? The easy answer is yes. However, even though it can be a medical deduction it has a very high chance to not changing their tax return by even $1.00 due to the income limitation and standard deduction. ‘Wait that doesn’t make sense, if I can write it off then how come it doesn’t help me?’ That is precisely the reason why there are no simple tax answers. Please look to a this post for more on medical deductions.

It is not only your own facts and circumstances, but the whole picture of your tax return. It is entirely possible something is a ‘write off’ for someone else and not for you. If I have a business selling homemade cookies on the street corner every weekend, and I present you with deductions for airfare… is that a write off? Well it depends. What was the airfare for? A cooking convention in Florida that went for 2 days and you were there for 2 days? Then very likely it would be. A cooking convention very close to Disney and the convention was for 1 day and you were there for 12… it was clearly not 100% business. The question of ‘can I write of airfare for my business’ is a simple question, but no answer can truly be given without more information.

This applies to work and business deductions, donations to charity, paying for college, student loans, gambling losses, miles driven in your car for work, inheritance, and many other things. Many things are limited by level of income. Others by total deductions, that is also another long list. As tax professionals, we truly want to give you more than a yes or no answer. However, giving you a simple yes or no could be a disservice to you as a valued client if your personal tax situation could result in either answer being insufficient to your circumstances. We need a copy of your last year’s tax return, and permission to use it, to be as accurate as we can.

In the end, please don’t be frustrated or upset when it is difficult to find, or get a straight answer about your simple tax question. Your tax answer revolves around your family’s taxes, not someone else’s taxes.

Charles Steinmetz
Senior Tax Professional

The Molen & Associates Difference

Mike Forsyth

“Super helpful and timely. This is our first year with them and we look forward to trusting them with our taxes and business books for years to come.”

Caitlin Daulong

“Molen & Associates is amazing! They run an incredibly streamlined process, which makes filing taxes a breeze. So impressed with their attention to detail, organization, and swift execution every year. Cannot recommend them enough!”

Sy Sahrai

“I’ve been with Mr. Molen’s company for few years and I felt treated like family respect and dignity. They are caring, professional and honest, which hard to find these days. Love working with them.”

Change Independent Contractors into Employees Trouble-Free

Independent contractors are a vital part of the American workforce. They work for themselves, usually providing services to other businesses. While this setup offers many advantages to both the contractor and the hiring business, it can also create tax problems.   You...

Is retirement the same thing it used to be?

The modern concept of retirement has only been around for about 100 years. Though relatively new, what retirement looks like and how people are planning for retirement has changed significantly in the last few decades. With roughly 9000 Americans reaching the average...

Cash in: Beat The Taxman With 11 Tax-free Income Breaks

No one likes paying taxes, but what if there were a way to reduce the taxes you owe each year? Luckily, several tax-free income breaks can help lower your tax bill. Here are 11 of the best ways to beat the taxman. Break 1: accumulation and withdrawals of tax-free...

I owe to the IRS, what do I do now?

We know owing taxes can be a headache, especially if you don’t have a CPA or tax advisor to walk you through the process. If you fail to pay your taxes, in most cases you will only face interest or penalties, rather than going to prison for tax evasion. Even if you do...

Credit, Debt and Personal Finances 101

In an era of credit cards, services that allow you to “buy now, pay later”, and access to loans at your fingertips, it is easy to indulge in lifestyle you can’t necessarily afford on your budget. Before your fall too deep down the rabbit hole – or if you may already...

Buying an Electric Vehicle? Know These Tax Law Changes

 Are you thinking of buying an electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid and taking advantage of the Electric Vehicle Tax Law Changes? If so, you have much to consider—thanks to the newlyenacted Inflation Reduction Act and Electric Vehicle Tax Law Changes. Let’s get...

Dealing With The New 62.5 Cents Mileage Rate

Due to rising gas prices, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced an increase in the standard mileage rate for business travel. As a result, small businesses that make use of the standard mile rates can deduct 62.5 cents per mile for business mileage.  This is...

FAQ on Student Loan Cancellation

What is the Student Loan Cancellation? Last month, President Biden laid out a plan to cancel up to $20,000 in federal student loan debt per borrower. Beneath this seemingly simple plan comes quite a few questions about how, exactly, it will work. Naturally, borrowers...

Need to Change from 1099 to W2? Read More About This Safe Harbor Relief

IRS declared independent contractors as employees: Can Section 530 help?  Are you going through an IRS audit? Though we know that is bad but what happens if the IRS declares that many of your 1099 independent contractors are W-2 employees, now what?    Safe-harbor...

The IRS is Watching Cryptocurrency Closely

The IRS wants to know of any bitcoins or other cryptocurrencies you have. It will appear at the top of the first page of your Form 1040, below your address and name. The IRS wants to monitor crypto purchases and sales starting this year.   Anyone filing a tax return...

Request an Appointment Today

2 + 2 =

Call us at

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This