Select Page
Need to Change from 1099 to W2? Read More About This Safe Harbor Relief

IRS declared independent contractors as employees: Can Section 530 help? 

Are you going through an IRS audit? Though we know that is bad but what happens if the IRS declares that many of your 1099 independent contractors are W-2 employees, now what?  

 Safe-harbor provisions of Section 530 may help! 

Section 530 

To meet the Section 530 requirement to qualify for safe harbor relief, you must meet the following rules: 

  1. Reporting Consistency: Consistent reporting of the federal tax returns timely (i.e., 1099s) to all workers you categorized correctly as contractors. For example, if you paid a worker more then $600, you must have filed form 1099 for that worker. 
  2. Substantive Consistency: Independent contractors must have been treated as non-employees, as well as any similar workers. Example, you employ your sister-in-law who does the same exact job as your independent contractor as an employee, she must also be treated as an independent contractor. 
  3. Reasonable Basis: You must prove that you had a rationale for treating your workers as independent contractors. Example, you relied on the advice of an accountant or business lawyer who knew the facts about your business. 

Suppose you fail to qualify for Section 530 safe harbor relief. In that case, the IRS Voluntary 

Classification Settlement Program (VCSP) may offer a way to settle your tax debt of back payroll taxes for that misclassification.

How the Voluntary Classification Settlement Program (VCSP) can help when you don’t qualify for Section 530 

Under the VCSP, you will reclassify your independent contractors as employees for future tax periods and the IRS will forgive a big portion of your past federal employment taxes. You will only pay 10 percent of the most current year’s employment taxes and best of all no interest or penalties! 

 To qualify you must:  

  1. Currently treat your employees to be as independent contractors and not employees 
  2. Have treated your employees to be and workers that do similar work as non-employees 
  3. Have filed all 1099s for your employees to be for three years prior to filing Form 8952. 

 It’s essential to meet these requirements because once you do then the VCSP helps you qualify for Section 530 safe harbor relief. Section 530 is better for you then VCSP because it protects you if you misclassified those workers, you could still treat them as independent contractors for federal employment tax purposes even if the IRS deems them to be employees. This means you don’t have to pay any employment taxes back, under VCSP you must pay 10 percent of one year’s worth. Section 530 will save you thousands of employment taxes that you would have paid under the VCSP, and you won’t have to reclassify your independent contractors as employees. 

 The qualifications of VCSP also state that you cannot be: 

  1. In an IRS dispute over employee status of your future employees 
  2. Under an IRS employment tax audit. 
  3. Under a Department of Labor or State agency classification exam for employees to be. 
  4. Previously examined by any of these government agencies about the classification of your employees to be. 

To apply for VCSP you must apply using Form 8952, this can be filed at any time, but it is best to do this at least 60 days before treating your employees to be as employees. 

Points to remember  
  • The IRS needs you to file 1099 forms for all your independent workers if you qualify for the VCSP.  
  • You will only pay 10 percent of the most current year’s employment taxes and best of all no interest or penalties 
  • VCSP agreements bind you for future taxes 
  • VCSP agreements reduce assessed employment taxes, especially if you misattribute employees over several years.  
  • In the case of misclassification where section 530 doesn’t apply, VCSP may still help you qualify for section 530

The Molen & Associates Difference

Mike Forsyth

“Super helpful and timely. This is our first year with them and we look forward to trusting them with our taxes and business books for years to come.”

Caitlin Daulong

“Molen & Associates is amazing! They run an incredibly streamlined process, which makes filing taxes a breeze. So impressed with their attention to detail, organization, and swift execution every year. Cannot recommend them enough!”

Sy Sahrai

“I’ve been with Mr. Molen’s company for few years and I felt treated like family respect and dignity. They are caring, professional and honest, which hard to find these days. Love working with them.”

Corporate Transparency Act – Beneficial Ownership Reporting: Are You Prepared?

he Corporate Transparency Act (CTA), enacted as part of the Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2020, introduces significant changes in beneficial ownership reporting requirements for certain entities operating in the United States. These regulations, set to take effect on...

The IRS is Cracking Down on S-Corp Salaries: How To Your Reasonable Compensation is Safe

The IRS is turning its attention to S-Corporations (S-Corps) and the salaries paid to shareholder-employees. Ensuring that you are paying yourself a "reasonable compensation" is crucial to staying compliant with the law and avoiding potential financial consequences....

Should You Be Making Quarterly Payments?

Tackling your taxes as a small business owner can often feel like a high-stakes game of strategy and a little guesswork. One of the key moves in this intricate game is mastering the art of quarterly tax payments. If you're looking to stay ahead in the tax arena and...

Slash Your Self-Employment Tax

Hey there, hardworking small business owners! Tax season is no walk in the park, but we've got a game-changing secret to share that could put more money back in your pocket. If you're tired of paying hefty self-employment taxes and want to keep more of your...

How Tax Planning Can Help You Grow, Preserve and Protect Your Wealth

Tax planning services from Molen & Associates help you make smart decisions regarding your taxes. We provide individualized advice and information that can save you money and protect your wealth. Our tax planning strategies go beyond just filing your taxes – we...

Why a Local Family Tax Firm is Your Best Co-Pilot in Space City!

Howdy, Houston small business owners! Tax time can be a real whirlwind, but fear not – we've got your back! When it comes to saving time, money, and headaches on your taxes, partnering with a local family tax firm can be the ultimate secret weapon. In this article,...

Uncovering the Top 5 Deductions to Save Time, Money, and Stress!

Howdy, fellow Houstonians! As small business owners in the heart of Texas, we know that taxes can be a daunting and complex puzzle to solve. But fret not, because today, we're here to equip you with some mighty tax hacks that will not only save you time and money but...

Streamline Your Finances with Molen & Associates: The Power of Corporate Accounting

In the fast-paced corporate world, managing finances with precision and expertise is paramount for the success of any business. Corporate accounting plays a vital role in ensuring that financial records are accurate, compliant, and capable of driving informed...

Mastering Your Numbers: The Secret to Small Business Tax Triumph!

Hey there, fellow small business owners! As entrepreneurs, we know that taxes can be a bit overwhelming, especially when you're trying to run a successful business. But fear not – we're here to equip you with the ultimate tax-saving superpower: mastering your numbers!...

Should I Get Life Insurance For My Kids?

Should I Get Life Insurance For My Kids? No parent wants to consider the possibility of collecting a death benefit on their child's life. And this is the reason many families are exploring the option of investing in a child life insurance policy to ensure their...

Request an Appointment Today

15 + 10 =

Call us at

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This