Texas Declared Federal Disaster – What Does This Mean For My Taxes?

After suffering through a week of freezing temperatures, broken pipes and power outages, the White House issued a Federal Emergency Declaration for Texas. But what exactly does this mean? We are going to try to break it down for you in just a few simple points.

Tax Deadline Extended for Texas Residents and Businesses

Various federal tax filing and payment dates for both individuals and businesses were moved to June 15, 2021. These payment and deadline extensions apply to residents and businesses in Texas and Oklahoma. There is no need to contact the IRS to receive this relief. In addition, the IRS will work with any taxpayer who lives outside the disaster area but whose records necessary to meet a deadline occurring during the postponement period are located in the affected area. Taxpayers qualifying for relief who live outside the disaster area need to contact the IRS at 866-562-5227.

Deadlines Extended:

  • S-Corps and Partnerships due on March 15 were moved to June 15
  • Individuals and C-Corps due on April 15 were moved to June 15
  • IRA contributions are now able to be made through June 15
  • Quarterly estimated payments due on April 15 were moved to June 15
  • Quarterly payroll and excise tax returns due on April 30 were moved to June 15
  • 2020 returns for tax-exempt organizations due on May 17 were moved to June 15
  • Texas Franchise returns due on May 17 were moved to June 15

Relief for Damages Incurred

Individuals and businesses in the federally declared disaster area who suffered uninsured or unreimbursed disaster-related losses can claim these on their tax return as a write-off. Even if you have insurance, the deductible portion may still be a benefit counted as losses. These damages can be claimed on either the 2020 tax return or 2021 tax return. There is a special way to claim these deductions, so please call us at 281-440-6279 to schedule your tax appointment and get credit for these additional deductions.

There is a $500 hurdle to pass before counting the repairs, but even if you do not normally itemize your deductions, these damages can be added on top of the standard deduction so you will still receive benefit. These deductions for repairs are calculated for damage done, not the replacement cost. This means that if you upgrade your flooring, you can still get credit for the deduction, but not for the entire amount you paid for the upgraded flooring. Be sure to keep all receipts related to your repairs and the work done to restore your home or business.

If you have already filed your 2020 tax return and want us to amend your tax return to claim these repair deductions, give us a call at 281-440-6279 to schedule an appointment today.


Contact Us

1 + 5 =

The Molen & Associates Difference

Mike Forsyth

“Super helpful and timely. This is our first year with them and we look forward to trusting them with our taxes and business books for years to come.”

Caitlin Daulong

“Molen & Associates is amazing! They run an incredibly streamlined process, which makes filing taxes a breeze. So impressed with their attention to detail, organization, and swift execution every year. Cannot recommend them enough!”

Sy Sahrai

“I’ve been with Mr. Molen’s company for few years and I felt treated like family respect and dignity. They are caring, professional and honest, which hard to find these days. Love working with them.”

Should I Open an HSA?

Should I Open An HSA Account? Are you considering a Health Savings Account (HSA)? If so, it is vital to understand what exactly an HSA entails. With this guide, you'll learn all about it: the advantages of an HSA and how it can help you manage your medical expenses....

Personal Finance Tips for Young Adults

As someone who has been working for most of their life, I wish there was someone out there who had shown me the correct way to save money for my future. Now that I am in my 30s, I have been getting better at saving money, but there are some personal finance tips that...

How to Track Expenses

There are many different methodologies, tools, tips, and tricks for tracking expenses, and it ultimately depends on your lifestyle and how actively and accurately you want to track them. This is information I’ve pulled from other sources and compiled into a few...

How To Accurately Record Commuting Mileage and Increase Tax Deductions

Increase Tax Deductions With the Business-Mileage Rule Using the Business Mileage tax deduction can be tricky. There are lots of situations that count while others do not. We don’t like commuting mileage. You should dislike it, too. It’s personal. It’s not deductible....

Bookkeeping 101

As a new business owner, you will certainly have some responsibilities you won’t be able to avoid. One of those non-negotiable part of your business is producing financial statements. It can be overwhelming trying to master a topic such as bookkeeping but don’t worry...

Bankruptcy – Everything You Need to Know

Everything you need to know Filing for bankruptcy protection is considered a statement on your ability to repay your debt to your creditors. Filing for bankruptcy will also put a halt to foreclosure or legal actions against you, and it stops creditors from calling and...

Top Tax Tips for 2023

Tax Refunds May Be Smaller This Year Plan now to learn these 2023 tax tips avoid surprises in the future! If you’re expecting a tax refund in 2023, it may be smaller than last year, according to the IRS. Your annual balance is based on taxable income, calculated by...

What is an EA?

Have you ever seen the title EA next to a tax professional’s name and wonder what it means? Or maybe you’re familiar with the title and you’re curious about the differences between an EA and CPA? Either way, in this blog I will be answering these frequently asked...

History of Federal Income Tax Rates: 1913 – 2021

The United States federal government levies taxes on the income of its citizens and legal residents. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the agency responsible for collecting these taxes.  Federal income tax rates have changed several times since 1913, when the...

Familiarize Yourself With Tax Terminology

Yes, I know, tax terminology feels like a whole new language. For most people all of tax forms can be even more confusing than a foreign language. What’s the difference between itemized deduction and standard deduction? What’s Income tax?  These words and more tax...

Request an Appointment Today

5 + 3 =

Call us at

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This