Stay Ahead of Law Changes & Protect Yourself Against Being Audited: Corporate Transparency Act and Reasonable Compensation

The 3 Most Common Mistakes in Preparing Your Own Taxes

None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. Many mistakes are made simply due to insufficient information, or information not easily understood. Here I’ll explain the 3 most common mistakes we see on self-prepared tax returns. They are marital status, business deductions, and kids with jobs.

Marital status:

Your marital status for federal income tax purposes is determined for the entire year, on December 31. You may have been single for 10 months of the year and then married in November, or married for the first 8 months and divorced in August. You are either single, or married, on Dec 31. One can always choose to file ‘married filing separate’, but that is different than ‘single’ – there are different rules that apply for certain things, and state law can affect how married filing separate is treated.

There does exist an exception to be ‘treated’ as unmarried (allowing you to file head of household or single even though legally married), but this is for those who have been separated for at least the last 6 months of the tax year. This exception is not commonly met, and you are free to ignore that part of this information. If you just got married, you cannot be treated as unmarried.

Business deductions:

Finding a place to deduct an expense does not mean it is a qualified business deduction for you. Form Schedule C is where someone would report their business income and expenses before electing to be taxed as a corporation. The form is a standardized form with places for various deductions that apply. Often we see something like ‘utilities’ filled in for someone with a home based business, and they simply enter their entire utility bill into the field. What is required to deduct the appropriate portion of utilities, mortgage interest, or any other part business part personal use takes a bit of extra effort and research. While that can be accomplished by someone with determination, we recommend that you find a professional to prepare your tax return and help educate you about how it is all reported at least once.

It applies to all the fields present for business deductions. There may be a place for you to enter the expense, but it is not a simple plug and play form. One can read the instructions for the Form Schedule C which will identify most items one by one, but be ready for some boring reading!

Kids with jobs:

It is a sore subject for a parent when their young adult child whom is still a dependent filed their tax return very quickly for their refund, but accidently forgot the box that says they are a dependent – thus disallowing the parent(s) from claiming them or their college expenses.  If your child files a return before you file your tax return please double and triple check that they checked the box which indicates they are a dependent of another taxpayer (you).

The way it actually reads on the tax return (the 2017 Form 1040EZ) is ‘If someone can claim you as a dependent, check the applicable box’ and there is a box marked ‘You’. That box must be checked. If it is not checked, they are unable to be claimed as a dependent. It can be corrected, but it takes extra time and money to do so. Additionally, if the person is in college and you are paying for it – only claiming them as a dependent allows you to claim the college expenses on your tax return. If your child mistakenly did not check the box, not only can you not claim them, but you are losing potentially thousands of dollars of education tax credits as well. Due to this, we often advise parents to not let their children file a tax return until the parents return is filed and complete. It is much easier to correct one check box on the child’s return and resend it to the IRS, than have to go through and amend the child’s return which has to be filed on paper and takes the IRS 90+ days to process.

Charles Steinmetz
Senior Tax Professional

The Molen & Associates Difference

Mike Forsyth

“Super helpful and timely. This is our first year with them and we look forward to trusting them with our taxes and business books for years to come.”

Caitlin Daulong

“Molen & Associates is amazing! They run an incredibly streamlined process, which makes filing taxes a breeze. So impressed with their attention to detail, organization, and swift execution every year. Cannot recommend them enough!”

Sy Sahrai

“I’ve been with Mr. Molen’s company for few years and I felt treated like family respect and dignity. They are caring, professional and honest, which hard to find these days. Love working with them.”

Tax Tips for Newlyweds

Tax & Financial Tips for Newlyweds in Houston Marriage is a significant milestone that not only unites two individuals in partnership, but in most cases, also merges their financial and tax situations. For newlyweds in Houston, understanding the tax implications...

Self-Employment Taxes: A Deeper Dive

Self-Employment Taxes: A Deeper Dive Self-employment taxes are a critical component of the tax system in the United States, impacting individuals who work for themselves. Understanding the nuances of these taxes can help self-employed individuals plan and manage their...

Education Tax Benefits: Maximizing Savings with Credits and Deductions

Education Tax Benefits: Maximizing Savings with Credits and Deductions Navigating the complexities of tax season can be daunting, but for those bearing the costs of higher education, there are valuable tax benefits that can ease the financial burden. Among these are...

How to request Individual Penalty Abatement

How to Request Penalty Abatement Penalty abatement is a great way to help reduce your client's tax debt. Here's how you can request apenalty abatement from the IRS. Let’s say you’ve determined that your client is eligible for a penalty abatement to help reduce their...

Understanding the Child Tax Credit for 2023

Understanding the Child Tax Credit for 2023 The Child Tax Credit (CTC) is a significant provision in the U.S. tax code designed to offer financial relief to families with qualifying children. As we navigate the 2023 tax year, it’s crucial to understand the current...

Tax-Smart Strategies to Pay for College

Tax-Smart Strategies to Pay for College   As the cost of college continues to rise and inflation soars, families are looking for ways to make ends meet. One way to do this is by taking advantage of tax breaks that can help offset the cost of tuition and other...

Unlocking Financial Freedom: The Strategic Power of Revoke-S Elections

Unlocking Financial Freedom: The Strategic Power of Revoke-S Elections As a small business owner, you understand that time, money, and peace of mind are precious commodities. The world of taxes can often feel like a labyrinth of complexities, with ever-changing rules...

The Augusta Rule: A Comprehensive Guide to the Section 280A Deduction for Small Business Owners

As a small business owner, you’re likely familiar with the home office deduction. This popular tax break allows you to write off up to 300 square feet of workspace in your home at a rate of five dollars per square foot, resulting in a potential $1,500 annual...

Unleashing the Mega Backdoor Roth: Maximizing Your Retirement Savings

Unleashing the Mega Backdoor Roth: Maximizing Your Retirement Savings Embark on a financial adventure with us as we introduce you to the not-so-secret world of the Mega Backdoor Roth – the financial strategy that's not only powerful but sounds almost as charming as a...

Get Organized and Sail Smoothly with a Family Tax Firm

How to Get Organized and Sail Smoothly with a Family Tax Firm? Tax season—an annual event that can trigger a range of emotions, from anticipation to anxiety. For small business owners, the prospect of tackling complex forms, deciphering intricate regulations, and...

Request an Appointment Today

10 + 7 =

Call us at

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This