How the new tax bill is changing the way you claim your children and other dependents

Taxpayers who claim dependents on their tax returns will be seeing some changes for the 2018 filing season. The passing of the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act (TCJA) included the removal of the personal exemption deduction as well as the doubling of the child tax credit.

The personal exemption deduction has been included in the tax code since the implementation of the Revenue Act of 1913. The deduction itself has varied over the years, beginning at $3,000 for individuals and $4,000 for married couples, into the most recent 2017 amount of $4,050 per person on the tax return, including parents, children and other qualifying individuals. For example, a married couple with two children would enjoy an exemption deduction of $4,050 per person for a total of $16,200.

This personal exemption deduction has been removed with the new tax bill, which is a big change for many filers. However, while the exemption deduction has been removed, the child tax credit has been doubled.

The child tax credit provides a tax credit per child under the age of 17 to taxpayers. If the credit exceeds a taxpayer’s liability, they may receive a portion of the credit as a refund. Eligibility for the credit depends on seven requirements, including the age of the child and the income level of the household.

Prior to the TCJA, the child tax credit was a credit which offset tax liability. A separate credit, the Additional Child Tax Credit, allowed for a portion of the child tax credit to be refundable if it exceeded tax liability. However, under the TCJA there is not an Additional Child Tax Credit separate from the child tax credit; rather, there is one credit that is refundable, subject to certain requirements.

The TCJA doubled the maximum child tax credit from $1,000 to $2,000 and makes up to $1,400 of the credit refundable. The only portion of the child tax credit that is indexed to inflation is the refund ability limit. Under current law, if the tax credit exceeds tax liability, taxpayers generally use an earned income formula to determine refund ability: 15 percent of income above $2,500, up to the full refund ability amount. For example, a family with $5,000 in earned income would be eligible for a refund of $375.

The exemption deduction and child tax credit changes are just a few of the many updates with this tax reform. To learn more about how the new tax bill will affect your filing this season, call our office today to have a free conversation with one of our tax professionals.

Carrolina Kizzee
Operations Department

The Molen & Associates Difference

Mike Forsyth

“Super helpful and timely. This is our first year with them and we look forward to trusting them with our taxes and business books for years to come.”

Caitlin Daulong

“Molen & Associates is amazing! They run an incredibly streamlined process, which makes filing taxes a breeze. So impressed with their attention to detail, organization, and swift execution every year. Cannot recommend them enough!”

Sy Sahrai

“I’ve been with Mr. Molen’s company for few years and I felt treated like family respect and dignity. They are caring, professional and honest, which hard to find these days. Love working with them.”

Change Independent Contractors into Employees Trouble-Free

Independent contractors are a vital part of the American workforce. They work for themselves, usually providing services to other businesses. While this setup offers many advantages to both the contractor and the hiring business, it can also create tax problems.   You...

Is retirement the same thing it used to be?

The modern concept of retirement has only been around for about 100 years. Though relatively new, what retirement looks like and how people are planning for retirement has changed significantly in the last few decades. With roughly 9000 Americans reaching the average...

Cash in: Beat The Taxman With 11 Tax-free Income Breaks

No one likes paying taxes, but what if there were a way to reduce the taxes you owe each year? Luckily, several tax-free income breaks can help lower your tax bill. Here are 11 of the best ways to beat the taxman. Break 1: accumulation and withdrawals of tax-free...

I owe to the IRS, what do I do now?

We know owing taxes can be a headache, especially if you don’t have a CPA or tax advisor to walk you through the process. If you fail to pay your taxes, in most cases you will only face interest or penalties, rather than going to prison for tax evasion. Even if you do...

Credit, Debt and Personal Finances 101

In an era of credit cards, services that allow you to “buy now, pay later”, and access to loans at your fingertips, it is easy to indulge in lifestyle you can’t necessarily afford on your budget. Before your fall too deep down the rabbit hole – or if you may already...

Buying an Electric Vehicle? Know These Tax Law Changes

 Are you thinking of buying an electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid and taking advantage of the Electric Vehicle Tax Law Changes? If so, you have much to consider—thanks to the newlyenacted Inflation Reduction Act and Electric Vehicle Tax Law Changes. Let’s get...

Dealing With The New 62.5 Cents Mileage Rate

Due to rising gas prices, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced an increase in the standard mileage rate for business travel. As a result, small businesses that make use of the standard mile rates can deduct 62.5 cents per mile for business mileage.  This is...

FAQ on Student Loan Cancellation

What is the Student Loan Cancellation? Last month, President Biden laid out a plan to cancel up to $20,000 in federal student loan debt per borrower. Beneath this seemingly simple plan comes quite a few questions about how, exactly, it will work. Naturally, borrowers...

Need to Change from 1099 to W2? Read More About This Safe Harbor Relief

IRS declared independent contractors as employees: Can Section 530 help?  Are you going through an IRS audit? Though we know that is bad but what happens if the IRS declares that many of your 1099 independent contractors are W-2 employees, now what?    Safe-harbor...

The IRS is Watching Cryptocurrency Closely

The IRS wants to know of any bitcoins or other cryptocurrencies you have. It will appear at the top of the first page of your Form 1040, below your address and name. The IRS wants to monitor crypto purchases and sales starting this year.   Anyone filing a tax return...

Request an Appointment Today

13 + 11 =

Call us at

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This