I owe to the IRS, what do I do now?

We know owing taxes can be a headache, especially if you don’t have a CPA or tax advisor to walk you through the process. If you fail to pay your taxes, in most cases you will only face interest or penalties, rather than going to prison for tax evasion. Even if you do not have the financial capacity to pay the next day, you should still file your return or at least file for a six-month extension. Then we can help you decide what payment options are available to you. 

How do IRS Payment Plans work? 

A payment plan is an agreement with the IRS to pay taxes you owe across an extended period of time. An online payment plan is one of the options you can apply for if you are a qualified. Once your application is completed you will receive an immediate notification of whether or not your payment plan has been approved. 

The payment options available to you are, full payment (yes, the less fun one), a short-term payment plan (paying within 180 day or less) or a long-term payment plan (an installment agreement – paying monthly). It is important to know that depending on your specific tax situation, we can help determine which payment option available is the best fit for you.

Does owing the IRS go away? 

Fortunately, in most cases, owing to the IRS is not going to haunt you forever. It is generally best to take care of IRS problems before they become more severe. There is a ten-year statute of limitations on IRS collections. This means that the IRS can attempt to collect your unpaid taxes for up to ten years from the date they were assessed.  Except for some important exceptions, after ten years, the IRS will not be able to collect. If your Collection Statute Expiration Date is near, the IRS can possibly act aggressively to get you to pay as much as possible before the deadline. 

You must remember the ten-year limitations period begins on the date of the tax assessment. There will be a written notice of the amount you owe in case you do not pay in full when you file your tax return. The date on this notice starts the ten-year limitations period. In the case you did not file a tax return, the IRS can create a substitute return for you and make a deficiency assessment, which starts the then year period. 

Can I file tax if I owe the IRS? 

We understand if you have questions regarding if you should or should not file your taxes, if you are not able to pay in full the amount due at the time of filing. However, it is important to keep in mind that  the best practice is to file your taxes on time, whether you plan on paying or not. If for some reason you don’t have the adequate financial capacity to pay what you owe, you should consider one of the payments agreements the IRS offers. These include: 

  • An agreement to pay within the next ten days. 
  • A short-term payment plan to pay within 11-120 days. 
  • An installment agreement, to pay the balance due in monthly payments. 

Businesses owing $25,000 or less from the current and prior calendar year, who can pay what they owe within 24 monthly payments, can use an online application.

How long does the IRS give you to pay back taxes? 

As previously mentioned, Uncle Sam offers payment plans to pay your taxes. He doesn’t want to have to come after you to get the money you owe. Other than the payment plans I explained above, you can fill out Form 9465 and mail it to your local IRS office to see what kind of plan you qualify for. 

Eligible taxpayers can be approved for up to 72 months to pay in full what they owe. It’s important to keep in mind that interest and penalties will continue to pile up until the balance is paid off. If in any subsequent tax years, you are owed a refund, the IRS can use those refunds towards the balance of what you owe.

What happens if you don’t pay the IRS the full amount? 

You might be wondering if it’s necessary to file your return if you can’t pay your tax bill. However, you should know that this is the most important thing. You must file your return or an extension to avoid penalties. The IRS automatically tacks on a 5% failure to file penalty for every month you owe taxes, up to a maximum of 25% of unpaid tax plus interest on the bill until you pay in full. Please note, this is separate from interest charges due to nonpayment or late payment. You can avoid a portion of the fees just be filing on time, even if you do not pay on time! 

There are other consequences the IRS can impose on to you to make you regret skipping out on paying your taxes, other than penalties and interests. Such as garnishing your wages, taking property (personal or business), or even your passport could be canceled.  

Luckily, there are a few resources that might help you, such as the online payment plan which allows you to pay off an outstanding balance over time. Once your application is submitted, you will receive notification that your payment plan has been approved. This resource is processed more quickly than requests submitted with electronically filed tax returns, even if the new tax is not yet assessed. 

Online payment plan options include: 

  • Short-term plan: The payment period is 120 days or less and the total amount owed should be less than $100,000 including tax, penalties and interest. 
  • Long-term payment plan: The payment period is longer than 120 days, paid in monthly payments, and the amount awed is less than $50,000 including tax, penalties and interest. 


It can be confusing and fairly unpleasant filling your taxes, and even more when you are expected to pay more taxes than you can’t afford. In this situation, as explained before, the worst thing you can do is not file a return to avoid payment. Requesting an extension will give you an extra six months to get your return completed. If you file an extension before the April tax deadline you won’t have to worry about the failure to file penalty. However, you could still owe a failure to pay penalty on any outstanding taxes (0.5% of the balance up to maximum 25%). 

If you need help with your taxes or have any other manner of financial questions, consider working with a financial advisor at Molen & Associates. Call us today, we are happy to serve you and help you navigate through any tax situation. 

Edgar Castillo 

Tax Advisor & Accountant 

The Molen & Associates Difference

Mike Forsyth

“Super helpful and timely. This is our first year with them and we look forward to trusting them with our taxes and business books for years to come.”

Caitlin Daulong

“Molen & Associates is amazing! They run an incredibly streamlined process, which makes filing taxes a breeze. So impressed with their attention to detail, organization, and swift execution every year. Cannot recommend them enough!”

Sy Sahrai

“I’ve been with Mr. Molen’s company for few years and I felt treated like family respect and dignity. They are caring, professional and honest, which hard to find these days. Love working with them.”

Should I Open an HSA?

Should I Open An HSA Account? Are you considering a Health Savings Account (HSA)? If so, it is vital to understand what exactly an HSA entails. With this guide, you'll learn all about it: the advantages of an HSA and how it can help you manage your medical expenses....

Personal Finance Tips for Young Adults

As someone who has been working for most of their life, I wish there was someone out there who had shown me the correct way to save money for my future. Now that I am in my 30s, I have been getting better at saving money, but there are some personal finance tips that...

How to Track Expenses

There are many different methodologies, tools, tips, and tricks for tracking expenses, and it ultimately depends on your lifestyle and how actively and accurately you want to track them. This is information I’ve pulled from other sources and compiled into a few...

How To Accurately Record Commuting Mileage and Increase Tax Deductions

Increase Tax Deductions With the Business-Mileage Rule Using the Business Mileage tax deduction can be tricky. There are lots of situations that count while others do not. We don’t like commuting mileage. You should dislike it, too. It’s personal. It’s not deductible....

Bookkeeping 101

As a new business owner, you will certainly have some responsibilities you won’t be able to avoid. One of those non-negotiable part of your business is producing financial statements. It can be overwhelming trying to master a topic such as bookkeeping but don’t worry...

Bankruptcy – Everything You Need to Know

Everything you need to know Filing for bankruptcy protection is considered a statement on your ability to repay your debt to your creditors. Filing for bankruptcy will also put a halt to foreclosure or legal actions against you, and it stops creditors from calling and...

Top Tax Tips for 2023

Tax Refunds May Be Smaller This Year Plan now to learn these 2023 tax tips avoid surprises in the future! If you’re expecting a tax refund in 2023, it may be smaller than last year, according to the IRS. Your annual balance is based on taxable income, calculated by...

What is an EA?

Have you ever seen the title EA next to a tax professional’s name and wonder what it means? Or maybe you’re familiar with the title and you’re curious about the differences between an EA and CPA? Either way, in this blog I will be answering these frequently asked...

History of Federal Income Tax Rates: 1913 – 2021

The United States federal government levies taxes on the income of its citizens and legal residents. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the agency responsible for collecting these taxes.  Federal income tax rates have changed several times since 1913, when the...

Familiarize Yourself With Tax Terminology

Yes, I know, tax terminology feels like a whole new language. For most people all of tax forms can be even more confusing than a foreign language. What’s the difference between itemized deduction and standard deduction? What’s Income tax?  These words and more tax...

Request an Appointment Today

9 + 5 =

Call us at

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This