Stay Ahead of Law Changes & Protect Yourself Against Being Audited: Corporate Transparency Act and Reasonable Compensation

Tax Tips For Self-Employed Photographers

While there are many perks to being your own boss, being self-employed creates additional responsibility. Most people who are employed can simply plan to make sure they have enough income tax withholding from their paychecks throughout the year. On the other hand, for those who are self-employed, ensuring that they have paid all their necessary income tax is not so simple. I have met with numerous self-employed taxpayers who are blindsided by self-employment tax and end up owing anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000 in taxes. Trust me,  you do not want to be in the position to experience that burden. To assist in avoiding large income tax burdens we will discuss some self-employed tax tips. While most of these self-employed tax tips will be general, there will be some focus points specific to photographers.

Can I do my own taxes if self-employed?

In most cases I would not even advise the average person who is not  self-employed to do their own income taxes, so you can imagine what my answer is to this question. The reality is that self-employed individuals “can” do their own taxes, but I wouldn’t recommend it. There are just too many things to consider, which is why it’s better to have a professional do the work for you. You want to make sure that you don’t leave any money on the table that you could have otherwise saved in taxes. You need to do this while also making sure you’re not doing anything that might draw the attention of the IRS and cause major financial issues in your world. Check out another blog post that gives more details on why you should not be doing your own taxes.

What are common self-employment tax deductions?

I am going to list some of the common self-employment tax deductions for all, and then a list that is specific to photographers. The most important thing to remember is that any expense for your business must be ordinary and necessary or common expenses for your trade or business. See the link below for more details like business use of home or business use of your car.

 Common Deductions 

  • Vehicle expenses- Achieved by keeping a mileage log of trips associated with your business. The standard mileage rate for 2020 is 57.5 cents per mile.
  • Office supplies- Businesses usually incur office expenses. Things like pens, paper, postage, and printing are considered office expenses.
  • Phone/Internet expenses – Communication is an important part of business, and internet usage in today’s business world is a must. Only the percentage of your phone or internet for business use is deductible.
  • Advertising –Expenses incurred to promote your product or service are deductible.
  • Job supplies –These are items purchased that you use to produce income in the operations of your given trade or business.

Want more? Follow the link for a list of general business income tax deductions.

 Photographer Specific Deductions 

  • Equipment Expenses –  Things like cameras, camera stands, lights, or props are examples of equipment expenses for photographers.
  • Studio/Venue Costs –  Expenses for studio or venue space that you may rent, or purchase are deductible. Also, any additional expense that arise from the studio or venue space such as electricity or insurance.
  •  Training/Education –  Expenses associated with weekend seminars, tuition for a formal photography degree, a business coach or mentor are deductible. Any travel or lodging associated with partaking in the training or education mentioned is also deductible.
  •  Trade magazine subscriptions.
  •  Software expenses.

 What is self-employment tax?

 Self-employment tax is made up of Social Security and Medicare taxes. The self-employment tax rate is 15.3%. Those who are employed pay their Social Security and Medicare taxes automatically through their payroll and normally never have to consider it. Also, half of the tax is covered by their employer. For those who are self-employed, there is no employer to cover half of the tax because they are their own employer. For the very same reason, self-employed individuals can deduct the equal portion of self-employment tax that an employer would normally pay. The remaining amount is added to whatever amount that was computed for your ordinary income tax. See the following link for more information on tax considerations for businesses, and self-employment tax.

How do I reduce self-employment tax?

 Self-employment tax is computed based on the amount of net business income you have for a tax year. That is, how much income you have after deducting all expenses for tax purposes. Considering this, the way you reduce your self-employment tax is by limiting the amount of excess income remaining at the end of the tax year. Now, if your business is just knocking the ball out of the park, then it is not necessarily as simple as spending as much money as possible.

For situations like this you may need to consider changing your entity classification. I will not dive into the entity election topic now, but I just wanted to mention that self-employed tax tips can go much deeper than just how much did you spend. Ultimately the answer is tax planning. Working with a professional tax adviser throughout the tax year is the best way to make sure you do not get hit with a large self-employment tax burden once the tax year is over. By keeping up with where you are throughout the year, you can make year end decisions on business expenditures that you need or really want to make that will help you decrease your net business income.

How much should I set aside for self-employment taxes?

 The answer to this question is it depends. The most important variables for this question are; how much revenue and expenses you have and is there other income to be considered outside of the self-employed income? As stated earlier you will owe about 7.65% or half of 15.3% in self-employment tax in addition to ordinary income tax on the net income of your business.  If you also have other income such as salary and wages or short-term capital gains, you must consider that income as well because your net business income is added to those amounts increasing your ordinary income tax. An important self-employed tax tip, leave the tax estimating to the professionals. It is better to spend money on a deductible expense for tax planning than to try to estimate the tax yourself and grossly miss the mark. It is worth mentioning that in some cases making estimated payments might be necessary to make sure you are not hit with a penalty when you file your taxes.

I hope that the information I have presented here is helpful for self-employed photographers and other self-employed individuals. The information I have given is not the end all be all, there is much more to be considered on these topics. It is best to consult with a tax professional for the best outcome regarding self-employment tax. Be sure to speak with a Molen & Associates tax advisor or schedule a tax consultation if you have further questions.

Arthur Harrison, EA
Tax Advisor, Accounting





The Molen & Associates Difference

Mike Forsyth

“Super helpful and timely. This is our first year with them and we look forward to trusting them with our taxes and business books for years to come.”

Caitlin Daulong

“Molen & Associates is amazing! They run an incredibly streamlined process, which makes filing taxes a breeze. So impressed with their attention to detail, organization, and swift execution every year. Cannot recommend them enough!”

Sy Sahrai

“I’ve been with Mr. Molen’s company for few years and I felt treated like family respect and dignity. They are caring, professional and honest, which hard to find these days. Love working with them.”

The Ultimate Guide to Streamlining Your Small Business Finances

Streamlining your small business finances doesn't have to be a complex puzzle. Running a small business is a thrilling endeavor, but it often comes with a multitude of financial responsibilities that can leave even the most passionate entrepreneurs feeling...

Navigating Self-Employment Taxes with Molen & Associates

Embarking on the path of self-employment is a dream many aspire to, and you're one step ahead with both the vision and resources to make it a reality. To ensure your entrepreneurial venture thrives without being encumbered by tax-related complications, Molen &...

Maximizing Tax Benefits for Your Home Office

How to maximize your tax benefits for your home office? For over four decades, Molen & Associates, a trusted tax and accounting firm established in 1980, has been aiding small-business proprietors and entrepreneurs in optimizing their tax advantages through the...

2024 Tax Updates

Navigating the 2024 Tax Landscape: What You Need to Know   Introduction: As we gear up for the upcoming tax season, it's crucial to stay ahead of the curve and be aware of the changes that will shape the 2024 tax landscape. In this blog post, we'll explore key...

Mastering the 199A Deduction: Your Ultimate Guide

How to master the 199A Deduction? Tax season often resembles a maze, with twists, turns, and seemingly endless complexities. But fear not, fellow entrepreneurs, for we're about to shed light on a powerful tool that can guide you through this intricate terrain—the 199A...

Cruising to a write off

How to cruise a write off? First things first, let’s remember our general rules that before we can deduct a business expense it must be ORDINARY and NECESSARY, meaning “An ordinary expense means it’s typical in your business, both [in terms of] amount [as well as in]...

Shielding Your Business: The Power of IRS Representation in Tax Matters

Tax matters can be a labyrinth of complexities, especially for small business owners juggling a multitude of responsibilities. The mere thought of facing the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can send shivers down the spine. But fear not – there's a potent guardian in...

Corporate Transparency Act – Beneficial Ownership Reporting: Are You Prepared?

The Corporate Transparency Act (CTA), enacted as part of the Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2020, introduces significant changes in beneficial ownership reporting requirements for certain entities operating in the United States. These regulations, set to take effect on...

The IRS is Cracking Down on S-Corp Salaries: How To Ensure Your Reasonable Compensation is Safe

The IRS is turning its attention to S-Corporations (S-Corps) and the salaries paid to shareholder-employees. Ensuring that you are paying yourself a "reasonable compensation" is crucial to staying compliant with the law and avoiding potential financial consequences....

Should You Be Making Quarterly Payments?

Tackling your taxes as a small business owner can often feel like a high-stakes game of strategy and a little guesswork. One of the key moves in this intricate game is mastering the art of quarterly tax payments. If you're looking to stay ahead in the tax arena and...

Request an Appointment Today

11 + 11 =

Call us at

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This