Tax season comes once a year. Not sure what to bring to your Tax appointment? This is one of the most frequently asked questions we receive here at Molen and Associates. Here are some tips on how to get ready. Please remember every taxpayer’s situation is unique there are of course many other documents which may or may not apply to you.
Many of the needed documents may come into your mailbox one by one. If not, make sure you contact your employer, financial institution or university.
- Social Security or ITIN Numbers with date of births for anyone who’ll be on your tax return
- Childcare payment records with licensed provider’s ID number(s)
- Bring any & all W-2, 1098, 1099 & schedule K-1 forms (income/loss from partnerships, S corporations, mortgage interest) and property tax statements etc)
- Education scholarships or fellowships
- Brokerage statements from stock, bond or other investment transactions (these are normally covered by 1099-DIVs and 1099-Bs)
- Closing statements pertaining to real estate transactions
- Any tax notices received from the IRS or other taxing authorities
- Please bring a copy of your prior year tax return as well as annual sums of deductions by category.
- Birth / death certificate
- Marketplace Statement
- Mortgage interest, real estate & personal property tax records
- Casualty & theft losses
- Amounts of state & local income tax paid in prior years
- Records of cash donations to religious institutions, schools & other charities
- Records on non-cash charitable donations
- Self-employment or contractor expenses (travel, tools, cell phone charges, uniform cost/cleaning, luggage, services fees, trade journals, meals & entertainment)
- Moving expenses
- Records of any contributions to IRAs, HSAs & other retirement plans
- Records of tuition and other higher education expenses (books, computers, etc.)
If you are a new client, please bring copies of your last 3 years federal and state income tax returns.
Bring any questions you may have in a written format to ensure you get the most out of your appointment. Our primary goal as a trusted advisor is to be available to provide insightful advice to enable our clients to make informed tax and financial decisions. We do not accept anything less from ourselves and this is what we deliver to you. We feel it is extremely important to continually professionally educate ourselves to improve our technical expertise, financial knowledge and service to our clients. As a part of your tax return, we would love to help educate you.