What is an EA? - Molen & Associates

Stay Ahead of Law Changes & Protect Yourself Against Being Audited: Corporate Transparency Act and Reasonable Compensation

What is an EA?

Have you ever seen the title EA next to a tax professional’s name and wonder what it means? Or maybe you’re familiar with the title and you’re curious about the differences between an EA and CPA? Either way, in this blog I will be answering these frequently asked questions, as well as a few additional ones, in the hopes of illustrating why enlisting an EA could be beneficial to you when seeking a tax professional.

What is an EA?

The best place to start and the most important question is probably, “What is an EA’? EA simply designates someone as an Enrolled Agent. An enrolled agent is someone who specializes in taxation and is federally licensed to prepare tax returns and represent clients nationwide before the IRS. This makes EAs a useful resource for taxpayers when dealing with the IRS in any capacity.

What is the difference between an EA and other tax professionals?

One of the major differences between an EA and other tax professionals is the certification process. To become an EA, you can follow two different paths. One is to work for the IRS in a position that requires you to interpret the tax code. The other is to pass the Special Enrollment Exam (SEE) and a background check. The SEE is a three-part exam that the IRS administers. It covers tax concerns for individuals and businesses as well as other practices and procedures. For more info on the process to become an EA here is a link to visit: Smartassets.com.

Also, though accountants are qualified to prepare tax returns, enrolled agents specialize in taxation. Enrolled agents are federal tax professionals while professionals like CPAs are accounting professionals with taxation training. These professionals have passed the Uniform CPA Exam and met other state requirements to receive their state licenses. Enrolled agents must pass three different exams all centered around taxation and IRS representation.

Another distinction is that professionals like CPAs are licensed by the state in which they practice. This means that CPAs must adhere to specific accounting laws and regulations set forth by their respective states, while enrolled agents follow a federal tax code which allows them to practice nationally.

Lastly, since EA is an IRS designation, EAs have greater authority when it comes to assisting taxpayers with IRS issues. As federally licensed professionals, they can represent taxpayers before the IRS even if the taxpayer isn’t represented by an attorney unlike some other forms of tax professionals.

Is an EA higher than a CPA?

This is a tricky question and honestly it depends. When it comes to who has a higher designation the answer is fairly clear. Enrolled agents are tax practitioners who are licensed at the federal level by the Internal Revenue Service. Certified public accountants are licensed by their applicable state boards of accountancy. So, in regard to taxation, EA is a “higher” designation than CPA. In fact, the enrolled agent status is the highest credential awarded by the IRS for a tax professional. However, this does not mean that all EAs are better than CPAs or vice versa. Generally, EAs specialize in taxation and CPAs specialize in accounting, so they normally have different areas of expertise. But there are also CPAs that specialize in tax preparation instead of public accounting.

What do enrolled agents do?

Enrolled agents have passed a comprehensive exam that covers all aspects of taxation which authorizes them to prepare, sign and file tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporations, trust, and estates. Furthermore, since they are appointed by the United States Department of the Treasury, they have unlimited client representation rights before the IRS, including audits, collection proceedings and appeals. For more information on audits and when to seek professional help, here is another great blog post to check out.

Why do I need an enrolled agent to do my taxes?

EAs are federally licensed tax practitioners who specialize in tax preparation and have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service. If you get a letter from the IRS, are audited or are the target of a collection action, your EA can speak directly to the IRS on your behalf.

EAs are trained in a wide variety of common and unusual tax situations. With the tax laws changing yearly, it’s more critical than ever to have a qualified tax specialist on your side when preparing your taxes and creating financial strategy. Again, the enrolled agent license is the highest credential the IRS issues. They are licensed to practice nationwide and unlike attorneys or CPAs, enrolled agents specialize in taxes, which allows them to stay up to date with ever-changing IRS regulations. Here is another blog post to help with some last-minute things you can do to get prepare for tax season.


Whether you’re going through a tax audit, need someone to represent you in tax court or you’re behind on tax filings and need a professional to give you proper guidance and prepare your federal returns, an EA can be a great resource for you.

Molen and Associates was founded by Ward Molen, EA back in 1980 and we also have a few additional enrolled agents on our staff as well. So, if you need tax preparation or IRS representation, please feel free to call Molen & Associates today at (281) 440-6279!

The Molen & Associates Difference

Mike Forsyth

“Super helpful and timely. This is our first year with them and we look forward to trusting them with our taxes and business books for years to come.”

Caitlin Daulong

“Molen & Associates is amazing! They run an incredibly streamlined process, which makes filing taxes a breeze. So impressed with their attention to detail, organization, and swift execution every year. Cannot recommend them enough!”

Sy Sahrai

“I’ve been with Mr. Molen’s company for few years and I felt treated like family respect and dignity. They are caring, professional and honest, which hard to find these days. Love working with them.”

Tax Implications of Inheritance: Understanding Estate Taxes, Inheritance Taxes, and Step-Up in Basis Rules

Inheriting assets can be a complex affair, especially when it comes to understanding the tax implications involved. This article delves into the intricacies of estate taxes, inheritance taxes, and the step-up in basis rules, providing a comprehensive overview for...

Healthcare and Taxes: Navigating Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Medical Expense Deductions

Healthcare costs can be a significant financial burden, but tax-advantaged accounts like Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and deductions for medical expenses can help mitigate these costs. Understanding these benefits can lead to substantial tax savings and financial...

Tax Credits for Families: Navigating the Child Tax Credit and the Child and Dependent Care Credit

Tax credits are essential tools for reducing the tax burden on families, helping to increase disposable income and financial stability. Among these, the Child Tax Credit (CTC) and the Child and Dependent Care Credit (CDCC) are particularly beneficial for parents and...

Retirement Contributions and Taxes: Understanding the Tax Implications of Contributing to IRAs and 401(k)s

When planning for retirement, understanding the tax implications of contributing to retirement accounts such as Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) and 401(k) plans is crucial. These accounts offer valuable tax benefits, which can significantly impact your...

Texas has been declared a Federal Disaster. What does this mean?

With the storm and power outages last week, Texas has been declared a Federal Disaster. What does this mean? When a state is declared a federal disaster area by the President of the United States, it triggers a series of federal assistance measures under the Robert T....

The Strategic Advantage of Cost Segregation in Tax Planning

In the complex landscape of tax planning and asset management, cost segregation stands out as a pivotal strategy for property owners and real estate investors. This article delves into the essence of cost segregation, its benefits, and how it can be effectively...

Charitable Planning: A Strategic Approach to Philanthropy and Tax Benefits

Charitable Planning: A Strategic Approach to Philanthropy and Tax Benefits In the realm of financial planning, charitable planning stands out as a multifaceted strategy that not only furthers philanthropic goals but also offers significant tax advantages. This article...

Maximizing Tax Benefits through Strategic Business Vehicle Usage

Maximizing Tax Benefits through Strategic Business Vehicle Usage In the realm of business operations, the utilization of vehicles plays a pivotal role in ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in service delivery, client engagement, and overall operational logistics....

Understanding the 529 Savings Plan: A Comprehensive Guide

Understanding the 529 Savings Plan: A Comprehensive Guide In the realm of education financing, the 529 Savings Plan stands out as a pivotal tool for families and individuals aiming to manage the rising costs of education. This article delves into the intricacies of...

Tax Scams and Fraud: Navigating the Maze of Tax Scams and Fraud Awareness

Stay Alert: Navigating the Maze of Tax Scams and Fraud Awareness In an era where digital convenience meets sophisticated cyber threats, tax scams have emerged as a significant concern for taxpayers. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) continuously warns the public...

Request an Appointment Today

15 + 10 =

Call us at

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This